Some Conditions of CAA Rule 101 RPAS Operations
• Must not fly closer than 4km from any aerodrome (unless certain conditions are met such as permission from the aerodrome operator);
• Must hold a pilot’s licence or a wings badge issued by Model Flying New Zealand if operating within 4km of an aerodrome;
• Must not fly at night;
• Must not fly higher than 120 metres (400 feet) above ground level;
• Must remain in sight of the RPAS at all times;
• Must have consent from property owners over which RPAS operating;
• If operating over a public event, CAA approval is required
• It is the responsibility of the operator to ensure they meet all the requirements of the CAA Rules.
The Civil Aviation Authority is responsible for investigating complaints about the dangerous use of drones. Report dangerous drone activity with the Civil Aviation Authority.
If a drone flies above your property without permission and you feel your privacy has been breached, you can make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner.
If a drone presents an immediate danger to public safety, contact the Police. Dial 111 for emergency, dial 105 for non-emergency events.